As the first of many speakers to come, TMSA had the State Chief Risk & Security Officer – Ms. Maria Thompson come to the school and kickoff a new Initiative TMSA talks*.
Ms. Thompson gave a Cybersecurity Briefing on 4th Oct, in honor of October being National Cybersecurity Awareness Month (NCSAM)**.
Thompson talked about cyber threats and how criminals, state actors, or even cyber terrorists are using techniques like phishing and spear phishing to breach data security in the online world. Some of what our students learned included information about the following:
- Data Breach: when your data, or a company's data is broken, into and/or stolen.
- Phishing: the activity of defrauding online account holders of financial information by posing as a legitimate company (note that Spear Phishing is targeted phishing at an individual or a company).
- Ransomware: a program that you unknowingly download, that gives an external user access to your personal data to be able to blackmail you and ask for ransom to keep it confidential.
Another topic covered during the talk was STOP. THINK. CONNECT., a global online education and awareness campaign to help all digital citizens stay safer and more secure online. Students learned to:
- Stop and take some time to protect your devices and keep them clean.
- Think and be cautious about sharing and protecting your personal information
- Connect with care with only individuals you know and use encryption
*For more info on the TMSAtalks initiative, check out our website, www.tmsacademy.org,
**For more info on NCSAM, visit https://www.dhs.gov/national-cyber-security-awareness-month.